Our Skilled Truck Accident Injury Lawyer Explains CA’s SR-1 Report and Why You Must Send One to the DMV After Your Crash

When you’re in an accident with a semi-truck or another large commercial vehicle, you may suffer injuries that will change your life. In the aftermath of the crash, it’s likely you may not realize your obligation to report the incident, the timeframe you have to report it, and the legal responsibilities for submitting this report. At Case Barnett Law, our skilled attorney understands what information you must send when you’ve been involved in an accident and has helped many clients submit the necessary documents required by California law. 

When you need legal counsel after a truck accident, our skilled lawyer at Case Barnett Law can help. Our knowledgeable and results-driven team can guide you through the process of submitting critical information about your crash to the right people, and we can also bring our experience and understanding of truck accidents to your case to fully represent you. Schedule a free initial consultation to learn how our dedicated California legal team can assist you. 

When you’re in a truck accident in California, you are obligated to report the crash to the DMV within 10 days. Orange County truck accident lawyer Case C. Barnett has experience helping clients complete the necessary report and get it to the proper people on time. Here, he discusses California’s SR-1 form, why it’sReporting truck accident important, and why having an attorney fill it out with you can be beneficial.

What Is California’s SR-1 Form?

California law requires that all vehicle accidents, including truck accidents, be reported to the DMV. You must fill out an SR-1 form and send it to the DMV within 10 days of your accident. California requires that you fill out the form if:

  • Someone is injured, no matter how minor the injury
  • There is property damage over $1,000

If you were severely injured in the accident and can’t send the form in for yourself, it’s legal for your insurance agent, broker, legal representative, or police officer to send it in on your behalf. Even if there was a police report or any other report made to the local police, California Highway Patrol, or your insurance company, you still need to submit an SR-1 form. 

Who Must File an SR-1 Form

California law requires that you must file the SR-1 form whenever there is an accident with any type of injury, no matter where it occurs in the state. This includes a crash that takes place in a driveway, private road, or parking lot. You must also file regardless of whether or not:

  • You were at fault for the crash
  • You had the appropriate vehicle insurance
  • Your registration and license were valid and current
  • The police responded to your accident, and there is a police report
  • You notified your insurance company

Typically, the police will not forward the SR-1 accident report to the DMV, nor will your insurance company. If you’re unable to send the report yourself, it’s important that someone do it for you. 

The Process for Filing an SR-1 Form

The process for submitting an SR-1 form requires that you provide essential information about the truck accident. Along with your own contact information, including your name, phone number, address, driver’s license, and vehicle information, you must provide the following: 

  • Contact and vehicle information for the other party, if you have it
  • Description of where the accident occurred and the type of accident
  • Information about the injuries suffered by all parties, and if anyone died
  • Information about property damage
  • Information about your vehicle insurance

Why You Should Work With a CA Truck Accident Attorney

You can fill out an SR-1 form online or print a copy to fill out manually. Typically, when you submit your form online, it’s processed faster than if you send through the mail. The personal injury attorney team at Case Barnett understands the process for filling out this report and the possible pitfalls and questions you may have when trying to complete it. For example, we know that filing an SR-1 does not mean you’re admitting guilt or fault in the accident—only that you’re notifying the DMV that the accident occurred. We also know the penalties should you fail to file the SR-1 report. That’s why it’s important to obtain legal counsel from the California truck accident attorney at Case Barnett Law. We can help you understand and work through this critical form after your accident, and we’ll be there to help you obtain fair compensation for your injuries.

Post A Comment