As members of a society, we must be able to trust that those responsible for the safety and well-being of others are not neglecting their duty of care. When we go to a doctor, we must be confident that he will apply his knowledge and training to help make us better. When we walk through a hotel lobby, we should not have to worry about invisible trip hazards. Unfortunately, not everyone holds up their duty and people are injured as a result. When this happens, the victim needs reliable legal representation in order to hold the liable party responsible.
Personal Injury Cases in California
In a personal injury case in California, the person who was injured is responsible for proving that the negligence of another person caused the injury to occur. This is a difficult undertaking, and it is essential that you not try to do it alone. An experienced personal injury attorney will know how to negotiate the following key elements of a personal injury case:
- Comparative negligence. The person who caused the accident is likely to argue that he was not entirely at fault. In California, this is called "comparative negligence." If you are found to be even partially to blame, your recovery will be reduced by the amount of fault that lies with you.
- Expert testimony. Testimony from a medical, economic, or accident reconstruction expert is often needed to build a strong case. The expert will explain how both the injuries and medical bills are due to the defendant’s negligence. Case Barnett Law has access to highly qualified experts.
- Going to trial. Many attorneys will waste time trying to negotiate with the insurance company before actually filing the case. An attorney who is confident in his trial abilities will not do this. Case Barnett Law will almost always file a lawsuit before we negotiate. We always want there to be a trial date in place for your case. If we settle for a fair number before trial, great. If not, we will take your case to trial.
- Statute of limitations. There are time limits associated with personal injury claims, and an attorney will keep you apprised of any deadlines. There are sometimes exceptions to the statute of limitations, and your case may be one in which waiting to file suit is justified. However, it is never justified to wait until the last moment just to play a game of "Chicken" with the insurance company.
- Attorney promises. Whether you chose to work with us our not, we want to warn you to be aware of attorneys making promises to you. We have even seen attorneys who are not licensed in California attempt to represent someone in the state. They hope to grab a settlement from the insurance company before the case moves forward. When it does not settle, they are left trying to find a licensed attorney to file the suit and save them. This is never good for the client, and it can put your entire case in danger.
When you hire Case Barnett Law immediately after the incident that left you injured, you will not have to worry about losing your case on a technicality. We will get to work right away.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Accept
At Case Barnett Law, we are experienced in handling a range of personal injury claims, including the following:
- Premises liability and security accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Electrocution accidents
- Industrial equipment accidents
- Toxic torts
- Wrongful death
- Product liability
- Spinal injuries
- Burn injuries
- Birth injuries
- Brain injuries
If you would like to speak to one of our attorneys about your case, call Case Barnett Law today. We are very passionate about what we do, so there is always someone ready to talk shop with you.