In the second it takes for a car crash to happen, your life could be changed forever. Your injuries may cause you severe pain, require extended time away from work, and saddle you with a crushing financial burden.
In the moments and days following the accident, you will likely deal with underhanded insurance adjusters and face expensive medical bills, all while trying to recover. The uncertainty about what to do and who to talk to can be overwhelming.
When You Need Compensation After a California Car Accident
Approximately 77% of drivers have reported being in a car accident during their lifetime. According to 2023 statistics reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 200,000 California injury vehicle accidents occur each year. More than 3,000 of those crashes result in someone’s death. Additionally, California is one of the top three states for the overall number of fatal accidents every year.
Orange County’s Dangerous Intersections
In 2014, OC Weekly reported the 13 most dangerous intersections in Orange County based on data from the California Highway Patrol traffic record system. The intersection of Capistrano and Via De Anza in San Juan Capistrano was 9th on the list.
If you were injured by a negligent driver in a California car crash, you’re entitled to compensation for damages. However, obtaining a fair settlement can be a challenge. That’s why it’s important to hire a skilled, experienced personal injury lawyer. Together, you can file a personal injury claim for any type of damage or loss associated with the crash.
The attorneys at Case Barnett Law work hard to ensure that you receive a fair settlement no matter how big or small your case or serious your injuries.
Potential Recoverable Damages
- Medical costs associated with the accident and any future medical costs
- Lost wages, including bonuses and raises, and loss of future earnings
- Property damage
- Future care needs, such as rehabilitation
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or door ramps
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Types of Compensable Injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Loss of limbs
How an Attorney Can Help Your Car Accident Claim
California is an at-fault state. This means that the driver whose negligence caused an accident must pay for the costs associated with the crash—these usually include injury costs and property damage. However, pursuing a personal injury claim can be complicated and exhausting, especially when you’re trying to recover from your injuries.
That’s why it’s important to obtain legal counsel from a car accident attorney. Whether you agree to a settlement or your case goes to trial, your attorney will handle all aspects of your claim and guide you through every step of the legal process.
Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Attorney in San Juan Capistrano
- An attorney will investigate the cause of the accident and help determine liability. The attorneys at Case Barnett Law may use special investigators to gather relevant and critical evidence to show the at-fault party’s negligence. If necessary, they can call on an accident reconstruction specialist to testify in your case. Our attorneys work with these specialists and expert witnesses whose knowledge and experience can strengthen your claim. When the insurance company realizes that you’ve hired an attorney, they will usually take your claim more seriously.
- An attorney will communicate with the insurance company. Insurance adjusters often call soon after the accident, pretending to be sympathetic and offering you a lowball settlement. They’re also looking for you to misspeak and say something that can be used against you. It’s common for them to ask you for a recorded statement—again, hoping that you’ll say something to hurt your case. When you hire an attorney, you can tell the insurance adjuster to speak directly to them. They know exactly how to communicate with insurance companies and mistakes to avoid to help ensure nothing you say is used against you.
- An attorney will evaluate the value of your claim. The value of your injury claim isn’t just the sum total of your medical bills and damage to your car. It can include many other things, such as lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, and pain and suffering. Your attorney can assess the monetary value of your claim by consulting with your doctors, determining the cost of your long-term care needs, and placing a dollar amount on your pain and suffering.
- An attorney will reduce your stress. Recovering from your injuries and getting back to your regular life is more difficult the more stress you’re under. Stress can complicate your recovery, so you want an attorney who will handle the stress of a settlement or court case so you don’t have to. Your attorney will fill out all the necessary paperwork, meet all filing deadlines, gather and organize all necessary medical evidence, and deal with the insurance companies, so you can rest and recuperate.
- An attorney will negotiate a settlement or go to court. A personal injury attorney will work with the insurance company to negotiate a fair settlement. However, if the insurance company doesn’t want to negotiate in good faith or come to a fair financial agreement, your attorney can take the case to court.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our San Juan Capistrano Car Accident Lawyer
At Case Barnett Law, our experienced car accident legal team understands just how difficult it can be after suffering an injury from an auto accident. We know how to help you find a legal strategy that can see you through this mess and land you the compensation you deserve.
You can find out whether you have a valid case at no cost to you. That’s because we offer free consultations. To request a free consultation with our team, reach out by calling 949-409-0055 or filling out the online contact form below. We proudly serve clients in San Juan Capistrano, throughout Costa Mesa, and in the surrounding areas.